In the modern day world, it is essential to learn how to complete various home improvement DIY projects. If you start learning and implementing today, you will realize that most of these projects are not as difficult as your first thought. Do you want to find out how to replace a bathroom sink? The process is quite straightforward depending on the bathroom sink model that you want to replace. We will review different bathroom sink models in due course.
Are you ready to discover how to replace a bathroom sink right now? In this post, I have compiled a fundamental process that will help you understand how to replace a bathroom sink though this will depend on the type of sink. For example, a drop-in bathroom sink is the easiest of all because the procedure is less involving.
One thing that should be clear to you is that whenever you are replacing a bathroom sink; ensure that the model that you buy has the same dimensions as the old bathroom sink. Also, ensure that you have all the tools that are required to complete this bathroom sink replacement process. Before walking you through the replacement process, I will provide you with the bathroom sink replacement options.
Bathroom Sink Replacement Models To Consider
If you want to upgrade the available bathroom sink model, you will have to buy a new one. In this section, I will provide you with a brief description of the viable replacement models.
- Console/wall-mount bathroom sink: These sinks are designed to be attached to the back wall of the bathroom. These sinks can fit in different heights inside your bathroom which offers a particular degree of flexibility. If you have a small bathroom space, they are best suited for such a circumstance.
- Pedestal bathroom sinks: They have a thin base and a bowl that sits on it. For a confined space, pedestal bathroom sinks are the best.
- Above-counter bathroom sink: They are designed to sit on the countertop. If you wish to change the model in the future, the process is easy. These sinks come in different sizes and styles.
- Self-rimming bathroom sinks: These sinks are slotted into the countertop leaving a lip on the top of the counter. They are cheap, easy to install and replace; available in different sizes and styles.
- Below-counter/vanity top sink/undermount: To install this type of a bathroom sink, a slit is cut in the countertop. The sink is slotted in, and its lips concealed. With this installation style, the sink offers a smooth cleaning process, and its appearance is seamless.
I recommend that you buy from reputable e-commerce sellers such as Amazon. The link below takes you there.
Materials And Tools Required To Replace A Bathroom Sink
- Soft towel
- Pry bar
- Tape measure
- Adjustable wrench
- Plumber’s tape
- Utility knife
- Pipe wrench
- Silicone caulk
Procedure: How To Replace A Bathroom Sink
In this post, I will provide you with six crucial steps in the replacement of a bathroom sink. If you have already settled for any of the models that I have described above, we can now walk through the replacement process.
- Hopefully, you measured the depth, length, and width of your current bathroom sink before buying a new one. Even if you did this, you can confirm the measurements again and do the same for the newly acquired sink. It is recommendable that the old and the new sink bear the same dimensions.
- Reach directly under your bathroom sink and turn off the water supply lines. Turn on the bathroom faucet to empty them. Place a bucket underneath to collect any water that drips from the tap or sink drain.
- Get rid of the old bathroom sink; start this by removing the tailpiece and trap. Loosen the clips on the pipes underneath your sink. Break the Plumber’s putty seal or silicone caulk by use of the utility knife.
- Inspect that the new bathroom sink is a fit for your countertop. After doing this, spread your towel on the floor and turn your new sink upside down on this soft towel. Under the sink’s rim, apply the silicone caulk and slot in the sink in its position. You can wipe off any excess caulk and re-install the clips.
- Tighten the loose drain assembly after reconnecting the water supply lines. Connect the tailpiece, stopper, trap and the water supply lines. Secure all the connections.
- You can now inspect whether there are any leaks. Turn on the water supply valves and the faucet too. Inspect the pipes under your bathroom sink and if you notice any leak, tighten the connections more securely.
In summary, if you want to understand how to replace a bathroom sink, this guide comes in handy. It will not only make you learn how to replace a bathroom sink but enable you to know different bathroom sink models. With that knowledge, you can buy the model that best suits your bathroom décor. But in all the circumstances, ensure that you have a close look at the manufacturer’s instructions manual. These sinks are different and cannot have an exact replacement or installation process. However, this basic procedure will help you whenever you are faced with difficulties. If you like this post, share it with your friends.