A bathtub faucet valve is a pretty important component that helps to regulate the water flow rate and its temperature. If a bathtub faucet develops issues, they might be as a result of the valve. For that reason, you need to know how to replace bathtub faucet valve.
If you know how to replace bathtub faucet valve, it will be quite easy to resolve the faucet issue that revolves around this area.
As you will realize, learning how to replace bathtub faucet valve offers a cost-effective way of repairing bathroom fixtures. You need to learn different DIY projects within the realms of home improvement to achieve the maximum benefits.
As you continue learning and understand how to replace bathtub faucet valve, you will realize that a valve is used in most plumbing fixtures. Then why not develop a profound understanding of this component?
Apart from controlling the water temperature and flow rate, a valve offers a water-tight seal in your bathtub faucet. If you understand the working of a valve, it will be simple to comprehend the required repairs on this component.
In the same vein, it will be possible to make good purchase decisions regarding the parts that require replacement. Before we delve to learn how to replace bathtub faucet valve, we first learn different types of bathtub faucet valves.
Modern Types Of Bathtub Faucet Valves
In this case, we shall review four types of bathtub faucet valves that you are likely to find in today’s market.
Compression Bathtub Faucet Valves
These valves are the least expensive and have been around for quite a long time. In this case, the bathtub faucet has both the hot and cold water handles. To close the water flow, you are required to turn off these handles. In the process of work, plastic or rubber washers found inside these faucet valves can crack or corrode and this breaks that seal used to regulate the flow of water. Henceforth, the entire bathtub faucet becomes leaky and this prompts you to repair it. But if the issue is all about the faucet washers, you are lucky because they are inexpensive to replace.
Ceramic Disks Bathtub Faucet Valves
One thing that I like about these bathtub faucet valves is that they are long-lasting. You can easily identify these types of valves by a look at the single lever which is always their characteristics. To enable proper temperature and water controls, these faucets possess a wide cartridge that houses two discs. When the ceramic material is hardened, it resists wear, tear, and corrosion.
Cartridge Bathtub Faucet Valves
To regulate the water flow rate, this valve has a movable stem cartridge that makes an up and down motion. These valves can serve you for a long time. You can remove and re-install a new cartridge if you detect any leaks.
Ball Bathtub Faucet Valves
You can only find ball valves in single handle faucets. The valve is designed to resemble a spherical disk which can either block or allow water to pass. With only a quarter turn in the anticlockwise direction, the valve allows the water to pass at the maximum rate. The model does not have washers and leaks are only possible as a result of corrosion. The model is long lasting hence does not require regular replacement.
Tools You Require To Replace A Bathtub Faucet Valve
- A faucet valve socket wrench set
- Utility knife
- Adjustable wrench
Procedure: How To Replace Bathtub Faucet Valve – Two-Handled Unit
- The first step should be turning off the water supply lines. You can do this from the main meter.
- Release the residual pressure in the water supply lines by turning on both cold and hot water handles.
- Before you start loosening the faucet parts, cover the drains with a towel to avoid losing the important faucet components.
- Using your fingernails, pry out the caps covering the nuts that hold both the hot and cold water handles in place. Afterward, use a screwdriver to remove the nuts.
- Use the utility knife to remove any caulk and consequently the escutcheons. As you remove the escutcheons, ensure you don’t lose the shims, thin washers, and gaskets. They will be used to secure the escutcheons.
- Using the appropriate faucet valve socket wrench set, you should be able to remove the bathtub faucet valve.
- Slot in the new bathtub faucet valve and re-install the mounting bolts. After this, re-install the faucet handles and test whether the replacement has been successful.
- If you allow the water to flow and there are no leaks detected; you are now a pro; you know how to replace bathtub faucet valve.
Procedure: How To Replace Bathtub Faucet Valve – Single-Handled Unit
- Turn off the water supply.
- Pry off the caps that cover the screws holding the faucet handles in place. Having done this, use a flat-head screwdriver to loosen the retainer nut.
- Expose the bathtub faucet valve by turning the flat-head screwdriver in the anticlockwise direction.
- Use an adjustable wrench to remove the mounting nut which will further expose the valve.
- After all this, you should be able to pick out the faucet valve.
- Insert the new bathtub faucet valve and start the securing process. It is just the reverse process of what you’ve done to remove the old valve.
- When every component has been returned into its usual position, turn on the water supply lines and detect whether there are any leaks.
- If there are no leaks, bravo! You know how to replace bathtub faucet valve.
All in all, unless you commit to learning how to replace bathtub faucet valve, you will always spend heavily to get the work done. As you have seen, the work is easy and will only take a small portion of your time. You will need to use the right tools and the knowledge acquired in this post to have this work complete. With time, you will become an expert on how to replace bathtub faucet valve. If you like this post, share it with your friends.