Do you want to unblock your best kitchen sink? Are you worried that you can’t easily unblock a kitchen sink at home? No more worry since you now have actionable ways that you can use to unblock a kitchen sink.
After reading this simple post, you will realize that you have a lot of options that you can employ to unblock a kitchen sink. All this depends on the means that you prefer. For example, you can opt to use a plunger or work without it. Do you know how to unblock the kitchen sink without a plunger? Just hold on!
In case you realize that your kitchen sink needs to be unblocked, then you think about where to get a plumber. Sometimes, this situation might come at a time when you are facing a tight budget. If this happens to be the case, next time, you should not worry about how you can unblock a kitchen sink as this post will give you the possible means to achieve the end goal.
After going through it, you will select the means that you favor when you opt to unblock a kitchen sink if you ever face this challenge at home. Probably, you would like to know how to unclog a kitchen sink with standing water. Just hold on!
Use of Vinegar and Baking Soda
I hope you are not amazed that you could already be having some of the tools to unblock a kitchen sink at your home. Baking soda and vinegar are critical substances that can effectively play this role. At least, you know the first method you can use to unblock a kitchen sink without a plunger. Amazing!
You might have bought both vinegar and baking soda for different reasons that are well known to you, but they are going to help you in this case. You can measure and add several teaspoons or else a half a cup of baking soda to your kitchen sink and mostly at the drain to remove the blockage.
You still have to add a cup of vinegar, and you don’t need to worry about the fizz and bubbling reaction that follows. It is this reaction that will help to remove the substances that are responsible for such a blockage. After doing all this, abandon the site for roughly an hour and a half to allow for a complete reaction.
As this reaction takes place, boil approximately two liters of water that will be used to do the cleaning to unblock a kitchen sink fully. Once the set time-frame elapses, you can rinse the kitchen sink drain.
If you are unable to unblock a kitchen sink via this process, you can repeat the procedure once again. You can repeat this procedure until the kitchen sink is fully unblocked. Important! this means can be used to unblock a kitchen sink drain.
Use of a Long Curved Wire
The first thing you need to ensure is that the wire is flexible. You can then insert it in the sink to disturb the blockage. Have you still seen that you can unblock a kitchen sink without a plunger? Let’s keep going!
The aim of making it curved is to facilitate the removal of debris once they have been dislodged from their area of attachment. It can be a multipurpose wire, which you can use for other engagements that require its use at home.
Then this explains the reason that the wire needs to be flexible. That means you can straighten up and bend the wire depending on how you wish to work with it to give you the right results. After inserting the wire, the objective here should be pulling up the debris out of the kitchen sink.
Avoid pushing it further down the drain because this will complicate the situation further. Remember your aim is to unblock a kitchen sink, and this can only happen right when you fetch away the debris from the sink drain. Apart from blocking the sink, you will unblock the kitchen sink drain.
In the future, if you suspect that the water is struggling to move down the sink after doing the cleaning, try out this means, and it will help you. You don’t need to go further and learn how to unclog a kitchen sink with standing water since this method can be helpful in that regard.
Work on the U-bend Pipe to Unblock the Kitchen Sink
- Most of the blockage in a kitchen sink majorly happens around the U-bend area. If other means to unblock a kitchen sink have proved to be of little help, this method is going to help you out. Do you want to unblock the kitchen sink pipe? In this case, you will need some essential and useful plumbing tools.
- All that you need to do is to unscrew the kitchen sink around the U-bend region to enable you to unblock a kitchen sink by removing the debris that could be causing the problem. Most are times that you will resolve to involve the services of a plumber when you realize that the problem lies in the U-bend.
- However, you might not need to call a plumber because you have the potential to do it by yourself and save that money, which you can use for other uses. Before you unscrew the U-bend, you need to wear hand gloves so that the dirt does not come into contact with your skin.
- Also, you don’t need to wear clean clothes or your best ones given that it is possible that they will get dirty in the process of unblocking the kitchen sink. Put a bucket underneath the U-bend before you unscrew it to avoid spilling the debris on the kitchen floor.
- As well, master how the screws and the pipes were tied together before you dismantle them otherwise you will have a very tough time to re-assemble them after you are through. When dismantling the connection ready to start the work, you don’t require special tools. Just wrenching the pipe will enable you to loosen it up and consequently inspect the form of blockage in the area.
- You need to do it gently to avoid causing damage to the mechanization or even resulting in a more complicated problem. Once all the debris and grease have been removed, you are now assured that this will not happen anytime soon. You will have to do it well by also cleaning the gunk, which will ensure that all the issues have been resolved.
- Even the pipes connecting to the U-bend will need to be inspected and subsequently cleaned up. If all this is done well, the possibility of occurrence of such a condition in any near future will be lowered.
- After doing all this, now it is time to re-assemble the piping system again. Since you already mastered the connection design at the U-bend, this is not expected to challenge you as any fault will cause you troubles.
- If you failed to learn the connection well, this would also leave you with a more significant challenge after you unblock a kitchen sink and you now wish to re-assemble it.
- In some instances, it is possible to find that some of the connection parts at the U-bend are already worn out, and this could lead to leakages when you re-assemble the connection. If this is the case, replace them. You might be happy that you have gotten the procedure to unblock a kitchen sink right.
- Nevertheless, you should consider replacing some of the worn out parts around the U-bend for the efficient functioning of your kitchen sink. All this will depend on your assessment regarding how you judge the effectiveness of the present components.
- If you are forced into buying new ones, consider doing it for the compatible assemblies. Doing this will enable you to perform the connection without any troubles. Ensure that you tighten any of the pipes around this area so that the angle of engagement becomes easy.
- Avoid over-tightening the pipes because you will need to loosen them up in the future in case you face any challenge that you can resolve by opening the U-bend. Majorly, this will be at the times that you want to unblock a kitchen sink since this is a common occurrence in many homes.
- Once you are sure that everything around the U-bend has been reassembled, you can run some water to test whether there is a leakage. If everything is okay, you are now happy that the mission to unblock a kitchen sink is successful.
Use a Plunger
Finally! You can use a plunger! The use of a plunger is the easiest way to unblock a kitchen sink. If you know how to unblock a kitchen sink by the use of a plunger, you already agree with me in this case. The first thing that you need to understand is whether you want to unblock a kitchen sink that is partially or entirely blocked.
Once you determine that it is somewhat blocked, you will be in a position to understand how to utilize the plunger to unblock a kitchen sink as explanations are going to be given here. In this case, you will need to place your plunger in the plughole before you cover it with water until the rubber cup becomes covered.
All this will be aimed at creating an airtight seal, which will be instrumental in removing the blockage. Use the kitchen towel to cover the sink’s overflow vent so that you can enable the pressure build-up that will be used to remove the obstruction.
Once you have done this, it is time to remove the blockage by plunging up and down by the use of both hands. The process should be done for roughly 30 seconds. At this juncture, you can assess whether the use of water has removed the blockage.
If there is still a problem, you can run hot water in the sink drain to wash out any grease in the system. Run the water for around 10 minutes. If it were entirely blocked, you would still need to place the plunger on the plughole and plunge up and down to create the air pressure. This time around try to do it very fast for 20 seconds and observe the results.
If the kitchen sink does not appear to have unblocked, repeat the procedure for more 20 seconds or even 30 seconds until you are successful. In doing this, avoid being too much violent as this will cause damage to the sink’s piping system.
You will realize that you are plunging water into the drain and not air. Then this explains the reason you need to do it at an angle. In the end, the good news is that you now know how to unclog a kitchen sink with standing water!
Unblock the Kitchen Sink by Working on the P-trap
In doing the cleaning of the pipes, you will have to wear hand gloves to avoid direct skin contact with the dirt. When doing this cleaning, you will need to place an empty bucket underneath to collect the used up water.
You will need pliers to loosen up the P-trap since a nut tightly holds it. After removing the P-trap, dislodge any gunk in this area and do a clean up by using water. Once you have done the cleaning and convinced of the sink’s condition, re-assemble the system again until everything is back to its position.
Use the pliers to tighten up the P-trap to a moderate level. You might not believe in your technical skills and this being the case, you might think of calling a plumber. However, this should not be the case as you will get used to the process with time. In fact, this method helps you to unblock the kitchen sink pipe.
In summary, if you utilize any of the means that have been discussed in this article, you will end up with a solution to your problem. In the future, you will not have to struggle to unblock a kitchen sink once it develops a blockage.
Nevertheless, there are specific practices that you can undertake to avoid finding yourself in a situation whereby you have to unblock a kitchen sink. For example, you can prevent frequent occurrence of such a scenario by ensuring that you throw all the food wastes in the garbage bin and not in the kitchen sink. Such practices present the first commitment to unblocking a kitchen sink if you understand this interpretation.
The point is that you will minimize the instances whereby your kitchen sink develops a blockage. Always keep your kitchen sink clean and advise any user in the family to uphold the same practices. If the culture grows, you will find minimal instances requiring you to unblock the kitchen sink.
Finally, be confident enough to use any of these methods instead of going for a plumber. All these means are cost-effective and will help you to unblock a kitchen sink with less effort.